Shipping From China To Australia
Home > Shipping From China To Australia
Are you a business wanting to bring goods into Australia from China? Welcome to TSL’s comprehensive freight forwarding service. We’re here to help you with all aspects of shipping from China to Australia, from pick-up right through to delivery – and everything in between.
Why Import Produce From China?
Importing goods into Australia from China makes sense for a number of reasons. Firstly, this country has much lower manufacture and labour costs than Australia, making you huge savings if you’re shipping in bulk. China also creates good-quality produce with an impressive variety of types of items produced. What’s more, there is an economic partnership agreement between these two countries, the ChAFTA, which has reduced the customs duty for many products being brought into Australia from China to 0%.
|China: fact file
Population: 1.4 billion
Location: East Asia, bordered with 14 sovereign states including Afghanistan, India, North Korea and Russia
Official language: Mandarin
Major ports: Shanghai, Shenzhen, Ningbo-Zhoushan, Guangzhou
Top export destinations: United States, Hong Kong and Japan (Australia is 13th)
Key exports to Australia: Telecommunication equipment, computers and furniture & homeware
Yearly goods trade with Australia: $193 billion
Free Trade Agreement with Australia?: Yes, the ChAFTA.
Which Transportation Method Is Best For Shipping From China To Australia?
If you wish to bring goods into Australia from China, you’ll need to decide which method of transportation will make most sense for your business. TSL can help with both sea and air freight services from China and is here to answer any further questions you may have about these two options.
Ocean Freight Services From China
Transportation using ocean freight services from China is less costly than using air freight services from China. Ocean cargo will usually take between 12 and 30 days to reach Australia from China and is ideal if the goods are heavy or bulky. The actual transit time will depend on a variety of factors, such as what type of shipping container you hire out and weather conditions out at sea.
Air Freight Services From China
Shipping goods on an aeroplane, of course, takes much less time than using ocean freight services from China – usually between one and five days. It is, however, pricier than sending your items via the ocean. The total time taken will depend on factors such as where your pick-up and delivery points are, and how much inland transportation is required.
To find out more about China’s export market, please see this page on the Australian Trade and Investment Commission’s website.
TSL’s Quick Tips For Doing Business In China
- Digital communication is very important for carrying out business in China. WeChat is the main platform, with over 1 billion users.
- The Chinese Yuan has two acronyms: CNH and CNY. CNH refers to trade on the offshore market, so outside of mainland China. This is the one you will see most as a foreign buyer of Chinese goods.
- Chinese names are expressed with the family name first.
- It takes a while to build up good business relationships with the Chinese. To get started, using a neutral intermediary is a good idea.
- When sourcing suppliers in China, websites such as as made-in-china.com, Joybuy and Ali Baba can be useful. It’s always recommended to request a sample and have it independently assessed before proceeding with a larger order.