Export To Vietnam By Sea
Home > Export To Vietnam By Sea
Need to send a consignment of goods from Australia to Vietnam? TSL provides a fully comprehensive service covering both air freight and sea freight between these countries. You can rely on us to get your goods the 5,200km-plus from Australia to Vietnam safely, quickly – and for a fantastic price.
Vietnam: The Facts
Vietnam has seen considerable economic growth over the last 20 to 30 years. It has a young and increasingly wealthy population of around 93 million and, as such, significant potential for foreign investors. Vietnam is one of the ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) countries, and in general these nations have growing middle and consuming classes. This leads to more opportunities for Australians hoping to export goods to these markets, as there’s an increased demand for the products our country has to offer.
What about Vietnam Imports Of Services?
You probably know what a goods export is – but what do we mean when we talk about Vietnam’s imports of services? Well, for starters, the annual services trade between Australia and Vietnam is worth around A$3.5 billion (2017 figure).
But what are service exports? This term refers to any service provided by a resident in one country to a company or people in another. Such services can cover a wide range of industries. The following are examples of Vietnamese imports of services from Australia:
- An Australian translation company providing translation services to clients in Vietnam
- Vietnamese residents ringing call centres in Australia and using their services
- Rents paid by an Australian resident or company for property in Vietnam
- Use of Australian franchises in Vietnam
- Australian visitors in Vietnam using local services such as shops, hotels and tours
With regard to service imports, Vietnam’s increased focus on a market-based economy and significant economic growth has meant a higher demand for training and education services. The need for training in areas such as English language, business and management and IT is high, particularly in the country’s main urban centres. In fact, Vietnam’s major service imports from Australia are currently in the area of education-related travel.
Free Trade Agreements
Vietnam and Australia are both part of the AANZFTA, the economic partnership agreements Australia/New Zealand and the ASEAN countries, which entered into force in 2010. This means goods coming into Vietnam benefit from preferential import tariffs, which are sometimes as little as 0%.
At the time of writing, another agreement covering trade between Australia and Vietnam had also just been signed but was not yet in force, the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP-11). You can find out the latest on free trade agreements Australia is party to from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
Sea Freight Services to Vietnam
With TSL, exporting to Vietnam by sea from Australia takes between 18 and 30 days. Transportation time depends on the following factors:
- Port of departure/arrival: Shipping from Sydney or another southern Australian port will take longer than sending your consignment from the north, simply because there is more water to cover.
- Container type: Cargo in a private container will arrive into Vietnam more quickly than if it’s travelling in shared container loads. This is because hiring private container loads, or full container loads (FCLs), will mean your cargo is subject to fewer delays than if you send it in less than container loads (LCLs).
- Cargo type: Certain items will be subject to stricter and lengthier customs checks on arrival into Vietnam.
- Weather conditions: These may affect the vessel’s departure from Australia, its progression out at sea and its arrival into Vietnam.
Sea Freight Services to Vietnam
TSL can organize all aspects of your sea freight operation on your behalf. Our services include everything associated with freight forwarding including packing, inland travel, customs clearance, warehousing/storage and distribution, both in Australia and Vietnam. If you need to export to Vietnam by sea and would like to know more about sea freight services to Vietnam with TSL Australia, please get in touch on our website or by giving us a call.