Without a Service Provider whom you can put your Trust in, you are putting your Company and your Reputation
Top 10 Tips for Selecting the Right Freight Forwarder
Every client has their own ideas of what determines a suitable freight forwarding company. Some may simply require a freight forwarder that can deliver a shipment with an affordable rate, but for others, it goes beyond this. As an importer/exporter, it’s imperative that your logistics company is able to provide you with up-to-the-minute status information on your freight.
Here’s a list of 10 tips that will help you select a freight forwarding company that is right for you.
1) Is the company financially robust?
It’s your freight forwarder’s responsibility to ensure that all necessary payments are made to the ocean carrier entrusted with delivering your goods. If for whatever reason these payments are not made on time, your shipment may be delayed which may result in additional costs to you. For this reason, it’s important that your forwarding company is financially stable.
2) Does the company possess a solid network of trusted global logistics agents?
Having a strong network of logistics personnel abroad, helps to guarantee swift knowledge of your shipment at all times and will help to ensure that your cargo arrives at its destination promptly.
3) Does the freight forwarder have the capacity to cope with your global business need? How many service agreements do they possess?
If it’s imperative that your valuables are transported immediately, then it’s important that you select a forwarding company that has a diverse range of service contracts. Forwarders who have multiple freight options will enable your shipments to be delivered sooner.
4) Is the freight forwarding company capable of transporting your particular product?
It’s essential that your forwarder has experience in transporting your particular product.
5) What is the freight forwarding company’s typical turnaround time? Do you receive the answers to enquiries in a timely manner?
As an importer/exporter, it’s essential that all requested information gets sent out to you quickly and efficiently.
6) Does the freight forwarder provide first class customer service?
When entrusting the shipment of your goods with a freight forwarder, high level customer service is of paramount importance. If you’re already with an existing company, how would you rate their customer service? Do you find yourself being put on hold for extended periods of time when you call them? Do they constantly switch between callers to resolve your enquiry or do you have dedicated a support member assigned to you?
7) Can the company supply you with positive references?
If you were sourcing a reputable builder to construct your new home, you would most certainly ask for references. Seeking a credible freight forwarding company is no different. They should be able to supply you with a list of clients for you to get in touch with. This gives you an ideal opportunity to gauge customer experiences with the company.
8) Do they provide Value Added Services?
9) Does the company achieve optimal deals on air, land and sea transportation?
10) Does the freight forwarding company have freight insurance?
Comments are closed.